Unique U Psychology is a private practice run by Danuta Bulhak-Paterson (MPsych (Child & Family), PG Dip (Psych), BSc, MAPS, MCCP). Although our passion is working with both genders, Unique U Psychology provides a special service—the recognition of the unique and specific attributes of Autism Spectrum Conditions in girls and women, and support for them.
Why does Unique U Psychology single out girls and women? Girls and women with Asperger’s Syndrome (sometimes referred to as Asperger’s Disorder) have a unique mix of gifts and challenges that are often missed in the diagnostic process because they manifest differently from the by-now well recognised characteristics of Autism Spectrum Conditions in the males. Girls and women with Autism Spectrum Conditions may be left undiagnosed in their school years and consequently may miss out on the support and guidance necessary to achieve their full potential. Women who receive a diagnosis of Asperger’s Syndrome later in their lives frequently report a history of misdiagnosis, unnecessary medical treatments, consequent confusion and stigmatisation.
Unique U Psychology provides diagnostic assessment and therapy. The aim of therapy is to embrace the uniqueness of individual people with Autism Spectrum Conditions and to build their life skills, such as better management of emotions, self-awareness, and improved ability to form and maintain relationships.
Unique U Psychology provides the following services:
- Diagnostic assessment of Autism Spectrum Conditions ( Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) /Asperger’s Syndrome);
- Specialist diagnostic assessment of girls and women with Autism Spectrum Conditions, which in females presents differently from males;
- Therapy with children and adults who have an Autism Spectrum Condition (including Asperger’s Syndrome, autism and PDD-NOS);
- Specialist therapy work with girls and women with Autism Spectrum Conditions;
- Intellectual ability (IQ) assessment;
- Problem-solving appointments for families of persons with an Autism Spectrum Condition (including Asperger’s Syndrome, autism, or PDD-NOS);
- Observation of children in kindergartens and schools, and meeting with teacher/s to provide strategies;
- Workshops, training sessions and seminars for parents of children with Autism Spectrum Conditions; and
- Workshops, training sessions and seminars for professional practitioners.
Danuta’s interview on SBS’s The Feed explaining the female presentation of ASD:
FOR GIRLS EXPLAINING HOW GIRLS WITH ASD DIFFER TO BOYS:
I Am An Aspie Girl: A book for young girls with autism spectrum conditions by Danuta Bulhak-Paterson, illustrated by Teresa Ferguson. Afterword by Tony Attwood.
Published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2015. Available on Amazon, Resources at Hand, Footprint Books.
A FASCINATING AUTOBIOGRAPHY ABOUT ONE WOMAN’S JOURNEY ALONG THE AUTISM SPECTRUM:
My Autistic Awakening: Unlocking the potential for a life well-lived, by Rachael Lee Harris. Published by Rowman & Littlefield, 2015. Read more Slot Machine Self-Service จะได้รับเงินรางวัล